Monday, July 31, 2017

Recovery!


Pheasant Branch Conservancy

I finally felt well enough to get back into the field on Sunday. Still below full strength, I kept it simple and easy, sticking to a few places near home. It had been over a month since my last birding excursion at Pheasant Branch conservancy, but I wasn't very thorough during this late July outing and didn't even bother to eBird my observations. While the prairie parcel had more noticeable avian activity, the creek corridor was a better place for insect photography; sitting, kneeling, and leaning was more my pace for the day, anyway.


Gray Catbird

While scanning cup plant stalks, I came across my first Buffalo Treehopper of the summer season. I didn't have a clear angle on it, but managed to find a small window below a leaf for a portrait. I also searched for Red-banded Leafhopper, but found only Citrus flatid Planthoppers, which were fairly numerous throughout the creek corridor. I found just one Peacock Fly at the first bridge crossing.


Buffalo Treehopper


Citrus flatid Planthopper


Citrus flatid Planthopper


Zebra Spider Salticus scenicus

A highlight of the day was discovering a tiny robber fly species I've never encountered before. At only 8mm in length, I could have easily overlooked these little gnat ogres, as they are sometimes called. There were probably half a dozen of them, but I didn't see any holding prey. Still, what an awesome little monster!


Robber Fly Holcocephala abdominalis


Robber Fly Holcocephala abdominalis

Sylvia knew of a spot not far from Middleton where we might find Juniper Hairstreak butterflies. Having never seen the species, I thought they would make stunning blog subjects. Nectaring on Queen Anne's Lace Daucus carota, the little green and orange butterflies were very cooperative insect subjects.


Juniper Hairstreak Callophrys gryneus









And a couple more tiger beetle portraits from earlier in July ...


Punctured Tiger Beetle


Big Sand Tiger Beetle

Bring on August!

All images © 2017 Mike McDowell

3 comments:

  1. I especially love the insect photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo! I hate to say it, but I enjoy taking the insect photos more than the bird ones! :)

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting photos of things you can't readily see... finding those subjects at all... being able to wait them out and actually capture their images before they skitter away... having a steady hand and the right focus at such magnification. Very much an art and a challenge you excel at.

    ReplyDelete